2022 NPT Review Conference: Information on civil society participation
The Tenth NPT Review Conference is scheduled to meet in New York from 1-26 August 2022.
Modalities for civil society participation are outlined in this information note (NPT/CONF.2020/INF/2/Rev.2).
Please read the information note in full for all details—below is just a summary.
PARTICIPATION AND ACCESS
Based on the practice of the previous review conferences, representatives of non-governmental organisations will be allowed, upon request, to attend the meetings of the Review Conference in-person.
It is tentatively expected that the open discussions of the Review Conference will be viewable at http://webtv.un.org/.
ACCREDITATION AND REGISTRATION
Participation in the 2022 NPT Review Conference requires two steps: accreditation, and registration.
If your organisation was accredited to attend the RevCon in 2020 or 2021:
- If your organisation requested and received accreditation in 2020 or 2021 to attend the Review Conference, its accreditation remains valid. Previously accredited organisations do not need to apply again.
If your organisation was NOT accredited to attend the RevCon in 2020 or 2021:
- All requests for accreditation must be submitted to the Secretariat no later than 17 June 2022 using the online form available at https://forms.office.com/r/j4vz1Sj0sa.
- Non-governmental organisations must also submit to Diane Barnes ([email protected]) a written accreditation request on the official letterhead of the organisation listing the representatives who will attend, including their full names and titles.
- Additional representatives may be included in a revised accreditation request letter, which should be submitted by 18 July 2022. To facilitate communications concerning accreditation and registration, the letter must include the personal email address and direct telephone number of a point of contact in the organisation.
- Non-governmental organisations that have not attended a previous Review Conference or Preparatory Committee meeting of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons should indicate previous interactions between the organisation and the United Nations in relation to nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation issues. A mission statement or summary of work of the organisation should be provided.
- Those non-governmental organisations that have requested accreditation as stated above will be informed by the Secretariat by email by 28 June 2022 of the outcome of their request. For questions relating to accreditation, please contact Diane Barnes ([email protected]).
Registration (to be completed after accreditation is approved)
- Incomplete registrations and registrations received after the deadline will not be processed.
- Online registration will be available from 1 June to 18 July 2022 to representatives of non-governmental organisations whose accreditation has been provisionally approved.
- Attendees must complete a registration form on the online Indico system at https://indico.un.org/event/1000162/registrations/ and follow the process described. Once a participant is registered in the system, the profile will remain and will only have to be updated if needed. Online registrations must include the accreditation request letter, including the name of the participant. If the requested documents are not attached, the system will reject the application.
- Once their registrations have been approved in Indico, representatives of non-governmental organisations will receive a confirmation email.
- Beginning on 27 July 2022, grounds passes valid for the duration of the Review Conference will be available for collection from the Pass and Identification Unit at 320 East 45th Street. Participants are advised to come to the Pass and Identification Unit well in advance to allow enough time for security checks.
Civil society presentations
It is tentatively expected that a meeting for non-governmental organization presentations will be held on Friday, 5 August 2022, from 3 to 6 p.m. As in the past, nongovernmental organisations are requested to coordinate among themselves in deciding which representatives will address the Review Conference during the session allocated for presentations by non-governmental organisations. Please contact [email protected] to learn more about how civil society presentations are being organized.
The availability of space for side events during the session is limited. Side events that can be accommodated within the room allocated to non-governmental organisations will also be scheduled by WILPF. We will post information about side events on our website (Calendar of Events for the 2022 Review Conference). Please email disarm[at]wilpf.org to book the room for a side event. We will require the event name, organisers/hosts and your top three preferences of date and time.
Limited space is available for exhibits. All exhibits at United Nations facilities require sponsorship by a State Party willing to assume responsibility for their placement and content as well as the submission of associated costs. Please submit sponsorship requests directly to the relevant permanent mission points of contact. Member States may contact Gabiden Laumulin (gabiden.lau[email protected]) as soon as possible and no later than 1 July 2022.