Information on civil society participation at the 2023 Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Preparatory Committee
The first session of the Preparatory Committee for the 2026 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) will meet from 31 July–11 August 2023 at the Vienna International Centre in Vienna, Austria. In addition, the Working Group on further strengthening the review process of the Treaty will take place 24–28 July in the same venue.
Modalities for civil society participation are outlined in this information note (NPT/CONF.2026/PC.I/INF/2).
Please read the information note in full for all details—below is just a summary.
PARTICIPATION AND ACCESS
Based on the practice of the previous preparatory committees and review conferences, representatives of non-governmental organisations will be allowed, upon request, to attend the meetings of the Preparatory Committee in-person. They will also be allowed to attend the Working Group in-person.
It is tentatively expected that the open discussions of the Preparatory Committee will be viewable at http://webtv.un.org/.
ACCREDITATION AND REGISTRATION
Participation in the 2023 NPT Preparatory Committee and/or the Working Group on further strengthening the review process of the Treaty requires two steps: accreditation, and registration. All organizations must request accreditation to attend, including those organizations that have attended past NPT meetings.
- All requests for accreditation must be submitted to the Secretariat no later than 2 June 2023 using the online form available at https://forms.microsoft.com/e/3Cjku4D3NA.
- Non-governmental organisations must also submit to Diane Barnes ([email protected]) a written accreditation request on the official letterhead of the organisation listing the representatives who will attend, including their full names and titles. NGOs that have not attended an NPT meeting in the past should indicate previous interactions between the organization and the UN in relation to nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation issues. A mission statement or summary of work of the organization should be provided.
- A single letter can be used to request accreditation to the Preparatory Committee and the Working Group.
Registration (to be completed after accreditation is approved)
- Online registration will be available from 19 June to 17 July 2023 to representatives of non-governmental organisations whose accreditation has been approved.
- Attendees must complete a registration form on the online Indico system at https://indico.un.org/event/1004395/registrations/ and follow the process described.
- Participants that will attend both the Working Group and the Preparatory Committee will obtain one pass valid for both meetings. These passes will be available to collect from 21 July 2023 at the UN Security and Safety Section Pass Office at Gate One of the Vienna International Centre.
- For participants who only will attend the Preparatory Committee identification passes valid for the duration of the Preparatory Committee will be available for collection beginning on 28 July 2023 at the UN Security and Safety Section Pass Office at Gate One of the Vienna International Centre.
Side events at the 2023 NPT Preparatory Committee
The availability of space for side events during the Preparatory Committee is limited. The room allocated to non-government organisations has a capacity of 40 people. Side events that can be accommodated within this room will also be scheduled by WILPF. We will post information about side events on our website (Calendar of side events for the 2023 NPT Preparatory Committee).
Please email [email protected] to book the room for a side event. We will require the event name, general theme or focus, organiser/host information, and your top three preferences of date and time. We are also happy to post information on our website about virtual and online side events.
In the meantime, if you are looking for conference documents, working papers, and national reports, or information about civil society participation, please visit the Reaching Critical Will website. We also encourage those following the NPT and its conferences to check out our 2022 NPT briefing book and NPT News in Review from the last Review Conference. We will be publishing an updated briefing book closer to the PrepCom.