UN Programme of Action on small arms and light weapons
The UN Programme of Action provides the framework for activities to counter the illicit trade in small arms and light weapons. It was adopted by all UN member states in 2001. Since that time the UN has worked to support the implementation of the UNPoA at national, regional, and international levels. It has hosted one Review Conference in 2006, two biennial meetings of states in 2008 and 2010, and one meeting of government experts in 2011. Its next Review Conference will be held in August 2012, with a preparatory committee in March 2012 to prepare. By-products of the UNPoA include the International Tracing Instrument and the recommendations of a Group of Governmental Experts on arms brokering.
- First Review Conference, 26 June-7 July 2006
- Biennial Meeting of States, 14-18 July 2008
- Biennial Meeting of States, 14-18 June 2010
- Meeting of Government Experts, 9-13 May 2011
- Preparatory Committee for the Second Review Conference, 19-23 March 2012
- Second Review Conference, 27 August-14 September 2012